VEGAN SWEET POTATO PIE
SWEET, Let's get Started!
*This recipe is Gluten Free and Vegan
serves 4-6 people
Courtesy of Mariata Takuira
1 sheet frozen gluten free puff pastry, thawed
4 Sweet Potatoes (2 Large), peeled and thinly sliced
1 red onion, peeled and diced
1/2 - 1 cup coconut cream
Caramelised red onion, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 180'C. Place the thawed puff pastry in an 8-9 inch tart pan or baking dish and tidy the edges. Place in the oven to brown for 15 minutes, then remove.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a saucepan and cover with boiling water, boil until par-cooked. Then spoon the mixture into the crust and drizzle with coconut cream. You may need 1 cup of coconut cream depending on how thick your sweet potato mixture is, ideally you want the sweet potatoes to be covered by the cream so they soften and you are left with a creamy texture.
3. Bake on the low rack in the oven for 35-45 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender and the crust is golden.
4. In a frypan, with a dash of olive oil, add your red onions and cook until softened. Add a dash of red wine vinegar along with 1 tsp of coconut sugar and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Rest for 10 minutes, then sprinkle pie with caramelised onions, cut and serve with side of leafy greens.